Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Priestly Courage

We're losing our priest. As of July 1 he's assigned a different parish. I hear our new one is a good man, and I'm sure he is, but the one we are losing is one-of-a-kind. Many in our parish are grieving.

He is as well. He's been with us for 14 years. He's come to know us and care for us, as a whole and as individuals. I've heard about some comments he's made regarding how difficult this is, and I've seen him choke up about it. Yet he's mostly trying to smile and joke around with us, trying to make it as easy as possible on his parishioners.

I find this to be an incredibly difficult farewell.

I've been watching my priest grieve, and it just brings to light one more thing that makes being a priest so very difficult. When he leaves, he doesn't move with family and friends. He moves alone. He starts all over again with a new parish, new faces, while missing us.

This has got to be so very difficult. It makes me appreciate even more what these men give up to serve God in the priesthood. I don't see how they have the courage to do that.

I'm just writing this to process and to say thank you to all of our priests.

No comments: