Saturday, January 5, 2008

The World Needs Heroes

The Archdiocese of New York is running a movie trailer proclaiming "The World Needs Heroes." They are running this in the hopes of attracting the attention of men who are considering the priesthood. You can find it at NYPriest.com/

The title resonated with me. Like so many people, life circumstances have brought me to a "dark night of the soul." I seem to be slowly coming out of it, but I'm not anywhere near where I want to be.

Three different priests, all in their own way, have been instrumental in helping me. One of them doesn't even know of my struggles, but through his passion for God he has influenced me greatly.

The other two have counseled me with complete understanding. During my darkest days, some people told me I wasn't praying properly (like God has some magic but secret formula that you have to follow) or that I didn't have enough faith (as though I could just decide to have it and it would be there.)

I heard all sorts of things putting the blame on me, but never from a priest. They recognized my pain and didn't try to come up with the easy, instant answer.

I hope to one day say I have total faith again. In the meantime, I've become a better person.

These three priests have enhanced my life greatly. They have done more to help me with the most important part of my life than I can express.

These priests are truly heroes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. Literally every priest I have met has been understanding, kind, and perhaps most importantly, patient with me as I work on my shortcomings.